Saturday, February 10, 2007

All Things British
The last couple of hours I've been listening to a CD which I love called "The Psalms of David" sung by the Kings Choir of King's Chapel in Cambridge (notice that you can scroll down on this link from Amazon and listen to portions of each of the tracks). Listening to a CD of church music sung by a boys' chapel choir makes me think of a PBS miniseries from awhile back called "The Choir." I also keep thinking of Susan Howatch books which are often set in cathedrals. (Her books are only okay, in my opinion. I mean, the plots are engaging and the characters are interesting. But I guess I just got tired of reading about clergy who are devoid of any redeeming quality.) Listening to the CD also makes me think of my favorite Agatha Christie book, "Murder in the Vicarage." Of course, I also have in the back of my mind lots of other beloved authors from the UK. There are some days when I wish I had a little English cottage and could be a member of the Cambridge singers, and drink English tea at teatime. But most days, I'm a very happy American.

The best part, of course, about the CD are the lovely settings of the Psalms, which are always so comforting and reassuring. "The Lord of hosts is with us!" "The Lord is my shepherd." "I was glad when they said unto me, 'let us go unto the house of the Lord.'"

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:09 PM

    It's even better to hear them at Kings. I often miss taking the short walk with Lauren or Jesse for Evensong and then a cup of tea thereafter. Maybe we can all make a trip. Hmmm . . . now you've got my wheels turnin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, I did hear evensong at King's Chapel in Cambridge when I visited there with my husband and parents in 1991. It was awesome, or should I say lovely.

    ReplyDelete