So, here's a list of 10 things everybody needs when a move is imminent. These things could be given as a goodbye gift for the person moving. If you're the one moving, make your own moving kit.
1. A box cutter. You thought I was going to say tape, right? No. Having many, many box cutters (preferably one that can be attached to one's body) is absolutely necessary. Many times during this move, I packed boxes which then I had to open before they were actually transported to the new house. For example, I needed a lampshade the night before we moved because I absolutely could NOT stand the idea of reading my novel by the light of a naked bulb before I went to sleep. But I had no box cutter, so I was using kid scissors and a pen to try to get into a box. Not pretty.
2. Packing Tape. Don't get that wimpy yellow-y kind. Get the super thick durable kind. The scotch clear tape is about $2 at Walmart. That's the best.
3. Many writing utensils and notepads, preferably sticky notes (again, having these items on a key chain is a good idea, if possible).
4. A cell phone charger.
5. A flashlight and extra batteries. These are necessary in the old empty house and in the new empty house. There are no nightlights left.
6. Dare I say it? Instant coffee or tea bags and a tea kettle (preferably borrowed from the neighbor).
7. The dog's leash and kitty crates, along with dog food, cat food, kitty litter, and a litter box. Some sort of bowl is handy too. Oh, and tuna in case your cat decides to go under the foundation of the house and you're trying to lure her out.
8. Many cleaning supplies. These are again necessary in the old and new houses, so bring all types along. Throw in some tp and paper towel while you're at it.
9. Air mattresses (again, for old and new houses) on those weird nights when you're camping out indoors.
10. Beer, wine, or Xanax. No further explanation needed.