Thursday, October 06, 2005

Christian Writing
My husband over at Burr in the Burgh wrote today about Jeb Bush in Florida encouraging school children to read C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Apparently, there has been some controversy over this incredibly terrific idea.

It got me thinking about being a Christian writer myself. I write either decidedly Christian materials that are catechetical in nature, teaching children about the faith. Or I write stories that are (hopefully) fun, use word play, and usually end up with some message about helping each other, but do not spell out the Christian message. But I usually won't mix the two. I won't produce something with a watered-down Christian message, since that's not Christianity at all.

Our vocations are to do whatever we do to help our neighbors, and to do the best we can in that vocation. That's why I always encourage aspiring writers to join critique groups, attend writing conferences, read books on writing, and write, write, write. Improving the craft of writing is the main job of an aspiring writer. Be the best writer you can be, while producing wholesome and excellent materials.

1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    Welcome to the blog-o-sphere! I have enjoyed your children's books and now I'm happy to get to know you better.

    I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete