Saturday, October 01, 2005

The quiet church
This evening, I spent some time in the church sacristy putting together three flower arrangements for church tomorrow. Some tireless helpers in our congregation plant and take care of dahlias in the garden which I can see from my kitchen window. They are now really coming in, so I put together three arrangements. I like it in the church in the quiet before Sunday morning. My favorite moments, though, are on Good Friday, when I come into church the back way. The sanctuary is bare and black, but the back hallway smells like Easter with lillies just waiting for Sunday morning. Sometimes it seems like it's the preparation and waiting that make the gathering around God's Word and Sacraments even more precious.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:58 PM

    I like to pray alone in our church sometimes, I feel like it would be weird if someone saw me though.

    ReplyDelete